Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Ash Wednesday Menu - Mushroom Pasta

White MushroomsPicture courtesy of Agro Tropical

Menu:
Mushroom Pasta
Homemade white bread
Tossed Salad with Oil and Vinegar Dressing

Mushroom Pasta Recipe:
1 Container or 8 oz of fresh white mushroom (or any other fresh mushroom such as Shitake, Crimini, etc., cleaned and sliced
1 Medium size onion, finely minced
3 Garlic cloves, finely minced
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1/4 to 1/2 cup milk (I used lowfat). It would be tastier with heavy cream but it wouldn't be as healthy.
Salt and Pepper to taste.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil

1 lb. dry pasta which you cook while sauce is also cooking.

Heat a heavy skillet (I use cast iron) and add tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the garlic and the onion and stir for two minutes. Add the mushrooms and stir. Add the tomato sauce and milk, season to taste with salt and pepper.
Simmer on medium low for approximately 10 to 15 minutes.
Serve over hot cooked pasta. Tonight it is linguine for us.

Serves 4

5 comments:

Micki said...

Congrats on your new sites...I'm being so impressed with your posted pictures of food here. Can't wait to try some of the recipes. Wish I knew how you got them so clear and sharp. Just great!

Don't know how you can do so much....please take care and don't burn out.

Esther said...

Micki, I use Paint Shop Pro to resize the pictures and crop to what I want to use. You can try the program free at www.corel.com.
Some of the photos here like the mushrooms are from Google.
If you need help, let me know.
This Lent I am cutting back on computer use. :-)

Dean said...

Great recipe Esther! I plan on using it next Friday to surprise my wife.

You can also try paint.net. It's very similar to photoshop and it's free.

Esther said...

Thankd Dean. You may have to cook it a little longer until the sauce is cooked thoroughly. Thanks for the paint net tip. Joey really likes it.

Dean said...

Your welcome. It's probably my favorite next to photoshop. =)