Saturday, February 24, 2007

Saturday Menu - Peruvian Boiled Dinner

Yesterday I called home and interrupted my parent's dinner. I asked my Dad what they were eating. He answered my mom's delicious "sancochado". Well, I usually don't cook on Saturdays. I tell my family that it's Mom's day off in the kitchen. Once my Dad mentioned that, I couldn't think of anything else to eat. Guess what we had for dinner?

Sancochado (Boiled Dinner)

Soup
1 package of soup bones
1 lb of beef (such as stewing, cross rib,) cut into 4 chunks
1 lb. Polish Kielbasa or Italian Sausage, cut into 4 pieces
1/4 lb slab bacon with the skin, cut into 4 thick slices
1 large onion, peeled and quartered
4 small ears of fresh corn or 2 large ears
4 large carrots
2 large celery stalks with leaves
4 large potatoes (peeled)
4 small sweet potatoes or yams or 2 large ones(peeled)
1 medium head green cabbage, quartered
6 cups water

Place all ingredients in a large soup pot and cook over medium low heat until the meat is tender. Taste before seasoning with salt as the bacon and kielbasa will be salty. Add black pepper to taste.

Sauce for boiled dinner:
1 large onion, peeled and sliced thinly lengthwise
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 small can of tomato sauce
a few drops of lemon or lime juice
1 small green bell pepper, seeded and sliced lengthwise
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat small saucepan, add garlic and brown. Add onions and remaining ingredients. Cook over medium low heat for approximately 15 to 20 minutes.

To serve the sancochado, please a piece of each meat and vegetable in a large soup bowl for each person. You can add some of the broth to this or serve in a separate bowl. Top with a few tablespoons of the tomato onion sauce. Serves 4

No comments: