Saturday, March 17, 2007

Saturday's Menu - Corned Beef and Cabbage

Happy St. Patrick's Day

Menu:
Corned Beef and Cabbage cooked in a crockpot
Sweet Corn Bread

This year I cooked the corned beef and cabbage in a crockpot. One of my brothers told me that is how he makes it. It sounded like a good idea since I wanted to get an early start cooking it and also had to leave to go to weekly Confession. It turned out very well! I think I will cook it like that again next year.

In our family we usually add carrots and potatoes to the cooking corned beef and cabbage. It is more like a boiled dinner which we really love. After slicing the corned beef, we serve it with yellow mustard as a condiment.

I used to make Irish Soda Bread. My mom gave me a really good recipe for it. However, my family would only eat a little of it while it was hot and the rest usually went to waste. This year I made corn bread with extra sugar.

2 comments:

Micki said...

I had my first corned beef this year and loved it. So Esther dear, where are the recipes you used for this and the "extra sugared" corn bread? Yummmm

Esther said...

Micki, this is the first time you ate corned beef and cabbage? Wow, I'm glad you liked it. That's the recipe...use your favorite corn bread recipe and just add extra sugar. I believe the usual recipe calls for approximately 2 tablespoons of sugar. I add 1/2 cup.