Saturday, March 10, 2007

Saturday's Menu - Old Fashioned Beef Stew

Beef

Since I took the day off from cooking yesterday, except to make Flan for my family, I am cooking tonight. The other day, Safeway had a 1/2 price off stewing beef cubes and of course, I took advantage of it. I think I bought approximately 2 lbs. of it at a fraction of the original cost.

Menu:
Old-Fashioned Beef Stew
Steamed White Rice
Steamed broccoli with garlic vinaigrette

Recipe for Beef Stew:
I usually make the one in the Good Housekeeping Cookbook. However, this recipe found HERE looks fairly close to the one I use.

I don't know about anywhere else but in my family home growing up in New Jersey and here in Hawaii, we eat beef stew with rice as a side dish.

Recipe for Broccoli with Garlic Vinaigrette

3 garlic cloves, finely minced
1/4 tsp salt or to taste.
Mix both well in a small bowl
Add 1/8 to 1/4 cup red wine vinegar or cider vinegar (very healthy)
Add two tablespoons of vegetable oil and blend well. Use as a dip for the steamed broccoli, artichoke hearts, or almost any other vegetable.

2 comments:

Sheri Payne said...

Do you ever make Hawaiian style beef stew? It has V-8 juice for the sauce (I always used the reduced sodium version) along with about 1/4-1/2 cup of chili water. Ono!

Esther said...

Sheri, no, I haven't. I think I've only seen it at Zippy's and it looked more like a soup. I will have to try it.