Sunday, March 25, 2007

Sunday's Menu - BBQ Chicken

Greeting

We usually eat chicken on Sunday. Today, we decided on barbecue chicken a la my brother Alex. My first thought was to make a potato or macaroni salad to go with it, but I changed my mind after seeing that I had almonds.

Menu:
BBQ Chicken
Rice Pilau
Tossed Salad
Chocolate covered strawberries

Recipe for BBQ Chicken:
Cut up a whole chicken and place everything but the backs and gizzards, hearts and liver in a oven proof casserole dish. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Cover with a cup of the prepared barbecue sauce of your choosing and bake in a 350 degree oven until chicken is tender.

Chicken cooked this way turns out juicier.

Recipe for Rice Pilau:
1 cup long grained rice
1/2 onion chopped
1/2 cup ghee (clarified butter used in Indian cooking) I used plain old butter today.
1/2 cup raisins
2 tsp chicken bullion
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric or you can substitute prepared powdered curry for the cumin and turmeric
1/2 tsp.salt
2 1/4 cup boiling water

Cook rice with onions in ghee or butter. Add raisins, bullion, curry or turmeric and cumin, salt. Pour into ungreased casserole dish. Add water. Cook in 350 degree oven until water is absorbed. Stir in toasted almonds.

Note: When I want to make this dish extra nutritious, I stir in approximately 1 cup cooked lentils to the uncooked rice. A little extra water may be required but be careful, you don't want the finished dish to be soggy.

No comments: