Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Easter Dinner and Leftovers

Lady with Easter Basket

On Easter we had the roasted fresh picnic ham that was marinating for about a week. It was close to 10 lbs! I marinated it following my mom's instructions of using vinegar, lots of minced garlic, cumin, salt and pepper and herbs. I also used a tip from my favorite auntie and added a couple of envelopes of Goya's Sazon. It roasted in a slow oven for close to 5 hours. During the last 15 minutes or so, I used the tip given to me by a Cuban gentleman. He told me to use a sharp knife to separate the skin from the meat and then broil the pork. The skin came out quite crispy and very tasty.

Menu:
Roast marinated pork
Watercress salad
White Rice
Baked Okinawan Sweet potatoes.

Dessert:
Easter Candy
Ted's Chocolate Haupia Pie
...and for me...Lemon Meringue Pie from Zippy's Bakery

Needless to say, with a pork that size, we had plenty of leftovers. No problem for us since it gave me an excuse to serve an old Peruvian favorite the next evening. Butifara is the name of the thinly sliced leftover pork served in fresh French bread or baguette and topped with a marinated onion sauce. That along with artichokes served with garlic sauce, was our dinner.

Marinated Onion Sauce:
Sliced a whole onion thinly by first cutting it in half.
Add 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
Salt to taste
1 tablespoon salad oil

Optional, add thinly sliced radishes.

2 comments:

Angie said...

Hi Esther!
The baked Okinawan Sweet Potatoes sound really good - would you mind telling me the recipe? Sounds easy ... but for some of us (that would be me) I need a recipe in order to follow. :)
God bless,
Angie

Esther said...

Oh Angie, I am ashamed to tell you there is basically no recipe to it. I washed the sweet potatoes thoroughly, dried, placed them in a baking dish and placed them in the hot oven along with the pork (during the last hour). They roasted up pretty sweet. I was happy with the results.