Thursday, August 9, 2007

Aguadito de Pollo - Peruvian Recipe

Tonight we are having Aguadito de Pollo. It is a soupy rice dish made with chicken, beer and cilantro. I looked on the internet and found a few recipes, none of which come close to my dear mom's way of making it.

Recipe:

1 whole chicken cut up into large pieces (tonight I am using cut up breasts of chicken which I found on sale)
1 bunch of cilantro, chopped up or minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 large onion, diced
Tip: I processed the cilantro, garlic and onion in the food processor.
1 large can of beer, (use light beer if you absolutely must)
1 cup white rice, uncooked (preferably long grain)
Salt and Pepper to Taste
1 tsp. Peruvian Aji or 1 small JalapeƱo, seeded and deveined
Water to fill the can or bottle of beer you will be using. Maybe a little more if you like your dishes a little soupier.
1/2 cup of frozen peas

In a soup pot, heat pot and add approximately 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Add your chicken pieces and brown on both sides. Add the remaining ingredients except the peas.

Cook over a medium heat until the rice cooks and absorbs some of the liquid approximately 1/2 hour. At this point add your frozen peas.

Serves 5-6 persons.

4 comments:

Alek said...

I want to try this out. What do you do with the can of beer? Just pour it into the pot? Thanks

Esther said...

Yes, pour the water and beer at the same time. I hope you like it!

Anonymous said...

My boyfriend made this for me last night. it was fantastic. Thank you for sharing your recipe.

Esther G. said...

Was that your first time trying it? BTW, you're welcome :-)