Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Chinese Salmon Steaks Recipe

My DH was in the mood for fish tonight. Actually, because of recent health issues, I told my family we are going to be eating healthier foods.

I ended up buying farm-raised salmon steaks. Unfortunately, although loaded with Omega 3, wild salmon would have been even healthier.

So now my dilemma was whether I wanted to prepare it Japanese style or Chinese style. I finally decided to try something new.

Chinese Salmon Steaks:

4 Salmon Steaks (go over the skin with a knife to remove any remaining scales)
2 Green onion stalks
3 garlic cloves
3" piece of fresh ginger, peeled
1 1/2" of fresh Jalapeño (vein and seeds removed)
Juice of 1 fresh lime
Approximately 1/4 cup of shoyu (soy sauce)
1 tbsp. vegetable oil

In a food processor, pulse the green onion, ginger, garlic, Jalapeño until coarsely chopped. The ingredients can be minced by hand too.

In Pyrex baking dish (or something similar), place the salmon steaks and season lightly with salt and pepper. Cover with the chopped vegetables, lime juice, oil and shoyu. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.

You can then bake the fish in a 350 degree preheated oven or steam it until fish is flaky...after approximately 15 minutes.

Serve with steamed white rice.

I will also be serving it with stir fried mushrooms or bean sprouts.

4 comments:

MM said...

how is japanese style salmon like? how is it prepared?

Esther said...

Well, the way I do it is by placing the salmon fillets in a baking dish. Adding shoyu, brown sugar, mirin, green onions and letting that marinate before either frying or steaming the fish.

MM said...

thanks

I think i would have to "bother" you =p in the future when I get married and ask for simple and quick recipes since I dont know how to cook =(

Esther said...

I would be happy to help! Just let me know.