Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Iranian Meat and Eggplant Recipe - Koresht Badenjan

When I was in college, one of my best friends was an girl from Iran. She and her brothers attended school with me. They also had their own apartment and they cooked the best exotic dishes I can remember. One such dish was a stew made from meat, eggplant, tomatoes and onions. It was somewhat sour with the addition of lemon juice and very tasty.

I regret never asking my friend Mahvash for her recipe but with my sisters help we came up with a recipe that is very close to what I remember. I also found a recipe on the internet that is similar. Koresht Badejan Recipe

The difference with my recipe is that I use whole fresh tomatoes sliced thickly instead of the tomato paste.

This dish goes very well with white or rice or Iranian style rice (with the crunchy bottom and the cucumber and yogurt side dish Mast o Khiar.

No comments: