Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Fresh Pumpkin Pie

pumpkin pie
Today, I decided to take a giant leap and make my first pumpkin pie from scratch.

The other day I finally got around to cutting up the two pumpkins we got at the pumpkin patch right before Halloween. The first pumpkin, I cut up with my large Chinese cleaver on a cutting board, on the floor. It took me an hour to cut it up. Then I boiled the chunks in water until soft. Unfortunately, I didn't know until today that boiling it makes the pumpkin absorb too much water and can't be used for pies.

I started to cut up the second pumpkin in the same way. However, the thought of spending one hour doing so, just made me stop. My best friend told me another method someone had shared with her. Putting the pumpkin the the oven until it was soft and then scraping up the flesh. Well, that way was much easier. However, it took a while to puree it in the food processor. But the finished product didn't have excess water.

I used the second batch for the pumpkin pie.

Mrs. Sigg's Fresh Pumpkin Pie Recipe.

I made more of the filling than the pie crust could hold. With the extra, I poured them into individual Pyrex cups and baked it along with the pie. My husband loved it! He made sure to put a large dollop of whipped cream on it. The edges that browned reminded him of a pumpkin pie cream brulee he said.

No comments: