Thursday, December 27, 2007

My Long Awaited Christmas Present

Cuisinart Ice Cream MakerWell, I finally got what I've been wanting! The Cuisinart Ice Cream and Frozen Yogurt Maker. I'm really happy with this gift. You see, as much as I like Haagen Daz ice cream, I feel we could do better with ice cream made at home.

So yesterday I prepped the ice cream maker by freezing the bowl and then we went to the supermarket to get the ingredients needed. The joke among my family was that a quart of ice cream cost us twice as much as a gallon of Breyers :-)

Unfortunately, the ice cream never frozen even after having the machine on for over an hour. Turns out I didn't let the bowl freeze solid. Liquid could still be heard if you shook it. So back in the freezer it went overnight and then I froze the ingredients in a separate container.

This morning we ran the ingredients through the machine for about 20 minutes. It is now setting and should be ready to eat in a few hours.

Our first attempt is vanilla but the possibilities are endless. I think I will try chocolate chip mint next or cookies -n- cream....maybe mango sherbet or peaches -n- cream.....

4 comments:

Therese said...

could you post some recipes Esther?

We bought an icecream maker a couple of years ago and made icecream a couple of times. When we moved the recipe book got tossed. We haven't made it since. I cannot quite remember the ingredients to make the icecream.

Esther said...

Therese, the basic ingredients are:
1 cup milk
3/4 cup sugar
Dissolve sugar in milk.
Add 2 cups heavy cream and 1 or 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract.

Now, I think that is too rich so I switch the proportions to 2 cups milk and 1 cup heavy cream.

Today, I am going to try Half -n- Half instead of the heavy cream.

Therese said...

Thanks. I will give it another go. My children really loved marshmellow bits in the icecream and m and m's. I added them a couple of minutes before I turned the icecream machine off.

Esther said...

Good idea! I was tempted to add broken Oreo cookies to the new batch of Chocolate ice cream I just made but I didn't.