Thursday, January 17, 2008

On the Menu Tonight - Chinese Food

I am currently reading a book about women's health. The book inspired me to cook healthier meals that what I have been doing lately. Because of time constraints on some days, I make something fast but usually not that healthy.

Tonight I prepared Szechuan Eggplant, except I omitted the pork.

Choi Sum and Mushrooms

Note: The recipes provided are very similar to my own recipes.

Shrimp With Green Peppers and Black Bean Sauce

Recipe:

1 lb. shelled and deveined large tiger shrimp
1 tbsp. cornstarch to coat the shrimp
1 large Green Pepper, seeded and cut into large chunks
3 large garlic cloves, minced

Sauce:
1 Tbsp. Fermented black bean (Tau See)
2 Tbsp. Oyster Sauce
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
3/4 cup chicken stock

Mix all ingredients for the sauce well.

In a hot wok or large skillet, add approximately 2 tablespoons of oil, preferably peanut oil. Keep the wok or skillet at high heat. Add the green peppers and stir fry for about 1 minute. Remove to a bowl and add the shrimp that has been coated with cornstarch. Brown on each side for about a minute or so and add the garlic. Stir fry until garlic is golden brown, add the peppers again and pour the sauce mix over everything in skillet or wok. Stir fry until sauce thickens, approximately 1 minute or so.

Serve with steamed rice.

No comments: