Thursday, January 3, 2008

Turkey Noodle Soup

Home Cooking
We had a roast turkey dinner for New Year's Day. Usually, we enjoy the leftovers for a couple of days. Thank goodness, my DH has learned to save the turkey carcass for me!

With the carcass, I made homemade turkey noodle soup for dinner last night. I also served a green salad with romaine, green peppers and black olives and popovers.

Recipe:

1 turkey carcass
1 large onion, diced
2 large carrots, sliced
2 large celery stalks, sliced
6 cups of water.
1 envelope Knorr Chicken bullion for extra flavor
1/2 package of egg noodles (however, I used leftover linguine instead)

Place all ingredients except the noodles in a large soup pot. Let it come to a boil and then lower to medium low for 2 hours or so. If the heat is too high (the soup is boiling) lower to low.

Remove the turkey carcass. Let it cool and then remove the remaining pieces of tukey meat. Put that back into the soup pot. Add the noodles and let it cook another 15 minutes or so.

Adjust salt and pepper to suit your taste.

Popover Recipe

I used the recipe from my Better Homes and Garden cookbook. Here I one you can use RECIPE. However, instead of using the popover pan (which I don't know what it is), I used the cookbook's method of spraying PAM or its equivalent in Pyrex cups and filling them half way. Bake at 400 degrees for approximately 40 minutes. When the popovers are golden brown and puffed very nicely, remove from oven and immediately prick with a fork to release the steam.

Very similar in taste to Yorkshire pudding without the mess or roast beef for that matter.

No comments: