Sunday, June 8, 2008

The Family That Eats Together Stays Together

Norman Rockwell Saying Grace
Norman Rockwell's Saying Grace


Our favorite cooking padre has some good tips on keeping one's family close through the family meals.

Source: Grace Before Meals Movement
Feeling overworked, over scheduled or overly tired? Take some time out and enjoy a meal with friends or family members. This simple act can help you recharge and reconnect with the people who matter the most to you. Here are a few ways you can incorporate the GBM philosophy into your daily life:

* Eat meals with my family five days per week (or as many as possible).
* Engage the family in conversation while preparing meals.
* Say Grace before each meal.
* Turn off the TV while eating dinner.
* Introduce interesting topics for the family to discuss at mealtime.
* Tell Friends and Family about the Grace Before Meals Movement.
My family and I do try to eat our meals together at dinner time every night. It is a rare evening when we do not eat together. During the week, our son and I eat lunch together. We do watch a sit com like I Love Lucy during that short time. Sometimes he or I will just want to spend the time sharing.

4 comments:

scmom (Barbara) said...

I agree with your favorite cooking padre. We eat together every night -- and while sometimes the kids start bickering at the table, most nights we all end up laughing. This summer I'm going to have my boys cook with me -- high time they learned!

Esther said...

It's the same with us Barb, although Joey is the only kid at the table ;-)

evann said...

Great post, Esther! The family meal is very important. I'm linking to your post.

Esther said...

Thanks for letting me know Evann!