Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Tastes of NJ - Oil Cured Olives, French Bread and Italian Sweet Sausages

oil cured olives Picture source here

There are a few food items I look forward to eating when I visit my family in New Jersey. Oil cured olives are on that list. On their own, they are dry, bitter and have a strong flavor. However, my dear mom prepares them in a way that is delicious when eaten with fresh French bread (another food I look forward too).

My mom fixes these little black jewels with vinegar, finely sliced red onions, finely sliced green pepper and perhaps a pinch of salt. It is a taste that is hard to describe but just heavenly when eaten with fresh French Bread or rolls.

French BreadNow back to the bread. The best French bread IMHO comes from Paterson, New Jersey,namely Giannella's Bakery on 21st Avenue.

You can actually go to their bakery/factory and buy the bread hot from the oven. I believe they charge $1.00 for two small loaves. I have lived in Hawaii for 15 years and I am still waiting to taste a bread that even comes close to their flavor and texture. They call it French Bread in NJ and I guess the equivalent would be a baguette. But if you tried calling the bread by that name, I think you will get a blank stare.

Italian Sweet SausagePicture source here

Today we had the bread for dinner. We ate fried Italian sweet sausages in a sandwich. Nothing fancy, just fried sausages cut into 2 inch pieces pan fried with water until the water evaporated and then it fried in its own fat. Nothing was added to the sandwich either. It was just the sausages and the bread. Pair that with iced tea and you have a dinner to please any member of the family.

11 comments:

Barb, sfo said...

Giannella's bread is fantastic! Try Minardi's in the Stoney Road section of Paterson as well (125 Grand Street)--their "water rolls" are amazing.

The bread here in South Jersey is just Not The Same.

Esther said...

Oh, I forgot about Minardi's! Do you remember Lazzara's Bakery? My mom reminded me of that one.

Barb, sfo said...

I don't know that bakery. But when I was in high school I worked in the Fair Lawn Home Bakery on River Road, right next to Friendly's. (One time I rode my bike there, through the flood water...so stupid of me!) I used to come up through Hawthorne and the river would flood a lot in that area.

Barb, sfo said...

Just remembered another fabulous Paterson bakery. Do you remember the Swiss Bakery? Their white loaf bread and lemon-filled cupcakes were terrific. And don't start me on the blueberry tarts.... It's now in Lincoln Ave in Hawthorne but used to be in Paterson somewhere (my mom would know).

Esther said...

Barb, I am familiar with Friendly's but I don't remember the bakery.

I don't remember the Swiss Bakery either.

Esther said...

Barb, I am familiar with Friendly's but I don't remember the bakery.

I don't remember the Swiss Bakery either.

Marie said...

I remember Lazzaras, and the Swiss bakery. Swiss bakery did move to Hawthorne, but is gone now.

Esther said...

Maria, I believe Lazzaras was near Getty Avenue.

Camille Sinclair said...

My father worked for Lazzara's many years on Getty Avenue and before near St. Michael's church and I was looking online for info. The bread was better than competiitors Gianelli's and Mainardi's, both of which are better than the so-called Brooklyn breads I can buy in the Princeton area. My mouth waters to remember. There was a bakery in Trenton that came close, but now those places are gone or diluted.
Camille Feb. 11, 2010

Esther G. said...

Camille, I really wished I had some of that bread here.

Davis said...

Good Information. Thank you for sharing and I want to share information about Madras Bistro which provides our guests with an authentic North and South Indian vegetarian dining experience. We are located in Hackensack, New Jersey and serve a wide selection of dishes representing the tastes of India.