Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Beef Barley Soup

My husband requested this soup for dinner tonight and I was more than happy to oblige.

Beef Barley Soup Recipe

2 cloves garlic
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
2 large celery stalks, diced
2 large carrots, diced
8 oz. sliced mushrooms (today I used Shitake)
8 cups beef broth (I used water)
1/2 cup pearl barley
1/2 cup beef (today I used a hunk of sirloin I had in the freezer)

Since I was not using beef broth, the beef had to brown well on both sides. Instead of oil, I sprayed the soup pot with cooking spray. Add to the well-browned beef, the onions and garlic and cook for a couple of minutes. Add the water and the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a boil and then lower to medium low heat. The soup needs to cook for at least 3 hours on low. Salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with homemade white bread and salad.

No comments: