Thursday, October 9, 2008

Oktoberfest

Oktoberfest
Every year my family sets aside one day in October to celebrate my husband's German side of the family. We had a wonderful celebration the other evening thanks to Barbara's Oktoberfest recipes at Bless us O Lord

Although, I wanted to duplicate all of her recipes for our menu, I wanted to use up what I had in the refrigerator, freezer or cupboards. Our menu therefore was a variation of hers.

Menu:

Pan fried Bratwurst on buns.

German potato salad (my variation was to use green onions instead of white onions. I substituted the green onions because I didn't have any parsley at home and I still wanted something green. I really enjoyed the taste of this potato salad.

Custard Pie. I found the recipe at Barbara's blog. We had more eggs in the refrigerator than we did apples. It came out really well too. I also made a homemade crust.

I skipped the Beer Bread because coincidentally, my friend made the Tastefully Simple recipe one that Barbara refers too and I didn't want to make it just yet.

So, thanks so much Barbara for sharing your menu with us!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you had beer to go with that wonderful dinner Esther.

Esther said...

Actually, we did not :-) I know, I know...

Micki said...

Esther - I'm originally from Milwaukee, Wisconsin and can add my "yum" to this Wisconsin Brat cooking method. Please try sometime with the added beer...it gets cooked out so there is really no beer taste. They actually have this cooking on the street corners of Sheboygan, Wis. during "Brat Festival" and people come from ALL over to eat. Much fun.

Esther said...

Micki, I will try it that way next time. Right now, I am very hungry and don't want to think about food since we are fasting ;-)