Thursday, November 6, 2008

Chinese Steak and Peppers

I need to go food shopping. I have lots of meat in the freezer but not much veggies. There are some onions, garlic and one pepper and part of a Jalapeno pepper. I was at a loss on what to make for dinner when my dear mom suggested steak and peppers.

Well, the following is a recipe I came up with tonight.

1/2 lb. beef steak, cut in slices across the grain
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 large Green Bell Pepper, cut in half, then cut the halves in half and then slice.
1 small Jalapeno pepper, seeded and deveined and thinly sliced
3 Green Onion Stalks, cut into 1 inch pieces

Sauce:
1/4 cup Soy Sauce
2 tablespoons Ketchup
1 tablespoon corn starch
1/2 cup water
Optional - 1 tsp. good quality cooking extra virgin sesame oil (or substitute peanut oil if you wish)
Blend well and set aside.

Place steak in a bowl and cover with 1/4 cup soy sauce.

Heat on high a wok or large cast iron skillet.

Add two tablespoons peanut oil to the hot skillet. Brown garlic and add the steak. Stir fry on high until meat is no longer red. Add the sauce and stir until sauce thickens. Stir in the remaining vegetables and turn off heat.

Serve immediately with steamed white rice.

2 comments:

Marilena said...

can you make this recipe without the hot peppers? i can't eat anything remotely spicy:)

Esther said...

Of course. I only used it because I had Jalapeno in the frig and I like spicy.