Friday, November 7, 2008

Okinawan-Style Dinner

Okinawan Style Dinner
I was telling my husband that people from Okinawa are known for their longevity. Their diet is to thank for their gift of long life. My husband requested that I make more meals based on their diet which consists mainly of fish, pork, seaweed, tofu, sweet potatoes.

I was able to buy very fresh vegetables today at Friday's local farmer's market.

The following is the menu and recipe for the meal.

Menu:

Seared Au (Marlin)
Kabocha pumpkin Japanese style
Boiled Okinawan Sweet Potatoes
Steamed White Rice
Watercress Salad

Recipes:

Kabocha Pumpkin:

1 half Kabocha pumpkin, peeled and cut into chunks
2 Green onions stalks, minced
1 piece of ginger sliced
3 cloves of garlic minced
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 cup water

Heat saucepan. Add oil. Brown garlic and ginger. Add the pumpkin, brown sugar, soy sauce and water. Cook until pumpkin is soft. Add green onions.

Seared Au:

1 lb. fresh au (boneless and so fresh you can eat it as sashimi)
Montreal Steak Seasoning

Heat a cast iron skillet on high. Add two tablespoons oil. Season the Au with the steak seasonings on both sides. Place in hot skillet until the bottom browns. Turn over and sear the other side until brown. Remove immediately. The center should still be raw. However, you may continue cooking the fish until it is thoroughly cooked.

Watercress Salad:

1 bunch watercress, washed, dried and cut into approximately 1 inch pieces
1 half lime or lemon
2 tablespoons oil, or a little less
Salt to taste.

Combine and serve immediately.

4 comments:

Janelle said...

This looks so light and refreshing! I don't know if I can get Kabocha pumpkin here in Virginia, but I think I'll try your recipe on a butternut squash I have hanging around.

Esther said...

That would make a pretty good substitute Janelle or even a regular pumpkin.

Gabriel said...

Very nice. I have also a site for recipes for cooking, but you have to translate the Google translate. I am from Slovakia.
http://www.irecepty.com

Esther said...

Thank you Gabriel. Your blog looks good! I just need a translation site.