Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Fried Imitation Crab Won tons (Crab Rangoons)

Ingredients:

1 package of fresh won ton skins (approximately 50)
1 cup shredded imitation crab
3 stalks minced green onions
1/4 cup cream cheese or any shredded cheese
3 tablespoons mayonnaise

Mix the above ingredients (except the wonton skins) thoroughly.

Place approximately 1 tsp. of the mixture in the center of the won ton skin.  Lightly wet the edges with water and fold into won tons.  The following is a video to help you.  The way I fold them is similar to the lotus flower described in the video.  Except, I do not roll it once.  Instead, once I have the triangle shape, I bring the two corners together from behind.



Heat a deep saucepan or "Fry-Baby" with clean vegetable oil until oil is smokey and you know it is very hot.

I used a copper saucepan.  Its size only permitted me to fry 2 won tons at a time.

Fry until golden brown. You may have to turn the won tons over so that they fry uniformly.

Place fried won tons on a paper-towel covered plate and continue frying until all of them are golden brown.

Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.  But may I suggest Thai sweet chili sauce.

4 comments:

Alexandra said...

Looks good, Esther!

Esther G. said...

Thanks Alexandra. They are pretty tasty.

d8547@hawaii.rr.com said...

Why do my gau gee "bubble up" when I deep fry them. Are you suppose to coat the won ton pi with flour?

Esther G. said...

Good question. That happens when I make fried wontons or gau gee too. I personally like them like that. I really don't know if coating them in flour would help. If you are determined to try it, use cornstarch instead. Please let me know if it works.