Friday, March 25, 2011

Chocolate Ice Cream

Preparing the chocolate for ice cream
One of my family's favorite treats is homemade ice cream. Although vanilla ice cream is easier to make, the extra effort in making chocolate ice cream is well-worth the trouble. I use the recipe that came with the Cuisinart ice cream maker but I have modified it to fit my family's tastes. We do not like our ice cream so rich and creamy. I therefore use half-n-half and 2 percent milk instead of heavy cream.

Mixing the chocolate base with the cream

Ingredients:
1 cup whole milk (I use one cup half-n-half)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
8 ounces bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate (broken into 1/2 inch pieces) (I use good quality chocolate chips)
2 cups heavy cream, well chilled (I used 1 cup 2 percent milk and 1 cup half-n-half)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract



Cuisinart Frozen Yogurt - Ice Cream & Sorbet Maker

Heat the whole milk until it is just bubbling around the edges (this may be done on the stovetop or in a microwave). In a blender or food processor fitted with the metal blade, pulse to process the sugar with the chocolate until the chocolate is very finely chopped. Add the hot milk, process until well blended and smooth. Transfer to a medium bowl and let the chocolate mixture cool completely. Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla to taste. Chill for 30 minutes or longer.

Chocolate Ice Cream

Turn the machine ON, pour chilled mixture into freezer bowl** through ingredient spout and let mix until thickened, about 25 to 30 minutes.

Getting ready to store in freezer

**I found that the freezer bowl should be in the freezer a minimum of 2 full days in order to be cold enough to freeze the ice cream.

No comments: