Thursday, March 17, 2011

Grandma's Baked Beef Macaroni Casserole

Bolognese Sauce
One of my husband's fond memories was his mother's baked macaroni.  I wanted to recreate this dish for my husband to make him happy.  Unfortunately, his mother passed away a long time ago.  Without telling my husband what I was planning on doing, I had him recall what he remembered of the recipe.  Finally, I told him what I was planning.  It made him so happy, I was afraid my version was going to disappoint.  Right before I placed the dish in the oven to bake he called and told me he remembered that his mother may have added a "little milk" to the tomato sauce.  That made me think his mother actually made a Bolognese sauce to mix with the pasta.

Ready for the oven

Turns out my husband rated my version as 9 out of 10 as coming close to the taste memory he had of his mother's original.  BTW, my son loved it!
Right out of the hot oven

Ingredients:
Bolognese Sauce*  I used approximately 3 to 4 cups cooked sauce.
1 box whole wheat elbow macaroni (or use the regular kind), cooked al dente and drained
1 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly grease a large baking dish (I used the largest Pyrex baking dish I had).  I used PAM.  Add the cooked pasta and the sauce.  Sprinkle with shredded cheese, cover with aluminum foil and bake for approximately 1 hour or until cheese and sauce are bubbling.

Serve with a green salad.

No comments: