Monday, March 14, 2011

Homemade Yogurt

Milk heating in saucepan
I only learned how to make yogurt at home. I had no idea how to begin. With a little help from a book and the internet, I have been quite successful in making yogurt.  The following is the simple way I do it.

Sanitized Mason jars

Ingredients and Tools Needed:

2 Pints Milk (The less fat the thinner the yogurt.  Do not use ultra-pasturized milk such as organic milk.  I use 2 percent milk from a Hawaii dairy.
2 tablespoons live yogurt culture at room temperature (I save some of the previous homemade yogurt for this).
Live yogurt culture at room temperature

1 small saucepan
Approximately 3 sanitized Mason jars (2 medium sized and one small one)
1 Candy thermometer
1 heating pan
1 microfiber cloth or a kitchen towel
1 Kitchen towel
Heating pad covered with kitchen microfiber cloth

Heat milk in saucepan to 180 degrees.  Remove from heat and cool to 110 degrees.

While the milk is warming, prepare the heating pad and cover with a clean microfiber cloth or kitchen towel.

When the milk is cooled to 110 degrees, stir in the room temperature live yogurt culture, fill the sanitized jars and cover tightly.

Place on the heating pad. Set the heating pad to warm.  If you are using the heating pad that shuts off automatically, be sure to reset it after two hours.  Once the jars are placed on heating pad, cover with a kitchen towel and do not disturb.  After 3 or 4 hours, check the jars to see if the yogurt has thickened.  (It may take as long as 8 hours. ) If you are using 2 percent milk like I did, the yogurt will be a slightly less thicker than if using whole milk and a little watery. 
Homemade yogurt about to be refrigerated

Refrigerate immediately.  I use this yogurt to make yogurt parfaits for my son and I use it in place of sour cream for all my recipes.

No comments: