Thursday, March 31, 2011

Pineapple Iced Tea

Pineapples and Tea


Safeway had a sale on pineapples the other day. Believe it or not, sometimes the pineapples they sell at our grocery store are not grown in Hawaii. Fortunately, on the day of this particular sale, the pineapples were grown not only in Hawaii but were Maui Gold! Maui Gold pineapples are small and super sweet!


Picture source

I had to let the pineapples finish ripening a few days after I brought them home. We could tell they were ripe by the lovely smell of pineapple in the kitchen. I cut the pineapple up for eating. This is the best way to eat fresh pineapple...it if sweet. As is my custom which I learned from my mother, I saved the outer shell and core for making pineapple water and the top for planting in the garden.

Pineapple water:  Boil the outer shell and core in 3 cups of water for about one hour on low heat.  Discard the boiled down pineapple parts and cool the pineapple water.

The pineapple top has new growth on top.
Pineapple Iced Tea

Ingredients:

2 bags of tea (such as Lipton)
8 oz of water
1/2 cup to 3/4 cup sugar
1/2 pitcher full of water
Juice from one large lemon or lime
Pineapple water

I usually microwave the two tea bags in the 8 oz of water for two minutes. Cool for 10 minutes or so. You can boil water on the stove for the tea instead if you prefer.

Add the sugar and lemon juice to the 1/2 pitcher full of water. Then add the tea and the pineapple water. Stir well and refrigerate until cold.

2 comments:

Alexandra said...

This looks sooo good! My daughter has been wanting me to buy a pineapple rather than just the cans we usually purchase. I think we''l try to grow one indoors with the pineapple top as well as try this tea. :)

Esther G. said...

The good thing about this fruit is that nothing is wasted. :-)