Monday, March 7, 2011

Yeast Donuts

I was going to make malassadas for Mardi Gras tomorrow. Instead, my family and I had a hankering for homemade donuts yesterday. After eating our fill and then some, I don't think we will be in the mood for anymore sugary, fried dough any time soon. I used the Better Homes and Garden cookbook yeast donuts recipe.

Rolling out the dough

Cutting the donuts out and waiting for them to rise

 I don't have a donut cutter so I make do with a salmon can and the top of my whistling teapot.  As you can see, it does the job.

I used my old Frybaby.  But I had to fry the donuts one at a time.  Next time, I think I will use a cast iron skillet.  My friend gave me the above cookie sheet/rack which also has a cover for it.  Very convenient when making cookies and donuts.

Sugar donuts
The recipe called for a powered sugar icing.  My husband preferred sugar donuts so sugar donuts it was.  I used one cup sugar in a brown paper bag to cook 20 donuts and donut holes.

2 comments:

Teresa said...

Those doughnuts look so delicious! I am going to have to try making doughnuts sometime.

Esther G. said...

They are pretty easy to make. Just a little time consuming. TY!