Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Bagels and "Lox"

This was my sandwich on April Fool's Day....white cream cheese


Unlike my son's Bagel and Lox which I dyed green.
I dyed my husband's cream cheese orange as an April Fool's joke.

My husband surprised me the other day by being in the mood for Bagels and Lox.  After all, he hails from Colorado, not exactly the bagel capital of the world.   But I thought it was a great idea!  Where do the best bagels come from?  I think they come from New Jersey but then again, I am biased.

I bought the bagels seen in the photo from a local supermarket.  Since then I have attempted to make my own bagels.  They were not bad.  I still prefer the ones from Hot Bagels in Fair Lawn...crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside..and hot!  (Fair Lawn has a large Jewish community, well at least it did when I lived in New Jersey.  So Fair Lawn had the best bagels. Hopefully, they still do.) Pair that with a cup of hot coffee and you have a breakfast made in heaven.  Those bagels are so good, you don't even need the cream cheese.

Hot Bagels straight from the oven


Bagels and a "schmear" of cream cheese
Esther's Bagel and "Lox"

3 large bagels (fresh or toasted) split in half
4 ounces of wild smoked salmon (Vita has wild smoked salmon which is healthier) 
1 small sweet Onion sliced thinly
1 large tomato sliced thinly
1 tablespoon capers
Freshly ground pepper
Softened cream cheese (room temperature)

Spread the bottom bagel halves with cream cheese.  Place capers on top of the cream cheese.  Divide the salmon into three parts and place each portion on each bagel bottom, on top of cream cheese.  Add the onion slices and tomato slices. Finish off with freshly ground pepper and serve.

Serves 3

5 comments:

scmom (Barbara) said...

Bagels and lox were big when I was in college, but I don't have a regular bagel hang out anymore, unless Panera counts and they don't have lox! I've never had it though (it looks like raw fish!). Tell me what it tastes like!

scmom (Barbara) said...

Sorry for all the exclamation points(!!!). ;-)

Esther G. said...

Well, I've only bought smoked salmon, not lox itself. But smoked salmon is a bit salty and the texture of the wild smoke salmon was like eating it raw. I do like sashimi and have had raw fresh salmon so I do like it.

elle said...

Esther, I found your blog today and am immensely enjoying it! I have tried just once to make homemade bagels and they were delicious, if a bit misshapen. Perhaps I'll have to try them again soon.

I am also looking forward to reading about your homemade saurkraut. Thanks for posting!

─elle, giftsgatheringsandgusto.blogspot.com

Esther G. said...

E komo mai Elle! (Welcome). I think the recipe called for smaller bagels (12) but I wanted the big chewy bagels I am fond of so I got 6 instead :-)