Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Calabrese Salad

See the flour on the counter.  I had just finished making pizza.
One of my favorite salads is Calabrese Salad.  I believe that the ones I ate in the Italian restaurants in New Jersey only drizzled on extra virgin olive oil.  According to this site, the salad is not served with mozzarella in Italy.

I used to only make this salad when the Jersey tomatoes we planted back home were ripe and ready for eating. They are in my humble opinion the best tasting of all tomatoes!
I make this often when we can get good tomatoes and cheese

My Version:

Fresh mozzarella cheese (without salt) Corrado's in Clifton, NJ has my favorite. Here in Hawaii, I have been using the one Costco sells which is pretty good.
Home grown tomatoes if possible or alternatively locally grown tomatoes from the Farmer's market.
Fresh basil leaves
Good quality Balsamic Vinegar
Good quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Sea Salt and freshly ground pepper

No comments: