Tuesday, April 26, 2011

How Does My Garden Grow?

My plants are doing quite nicely!  Usually in Spring it is the battle against the white flies and aphids.  I noticed that with the help of some dead-headed marigolds that are placed on the plants themselves, the little buggers do not seem to be as pesky.  But I will keep my fingers crossed and hope that I did not speak too soon.

Hibiscus

Hawaiian Chili Pepper
HECO (the electric company) has a tree give-away in November.  Last November I picked a small plant, a Hawaiian Chili Pepper plant.  In the past I have chosen Plumeria trees because I love the smell of Plumeria flowers.

Green Onions and Tomato plants
Once I spent 7.00 on a large green onion planter thinking that I would spend 6.00 more than I usually do but I would have green onions that would last  forever.  (I use a lot of green onions in cooking).  Sadly, that was just not the case.  It seemed to me that the green onions dried out much quicker than I had anticipated.

Then it occurred to me since green onions have roots I would leave two inches above the root part and plant them in potting soil.  Guess what?  I have lots of green onion plants growing quite well!!  I also grow cilantro this way.  They too have roots that take well in potting soil. 

As for the tomato plant you see growing in the photo.  That was a sucker plant that I removed from the beef steak tomato plant currently growing.  The sucker has taken root and will soon be producing tomatoes.

I enjoy growing plants that I get for free or just about for free.  It bothers me to think of all the money I have spend at the garden centers only to watch the plants wither up and die.  What a waste!

Baby Eggplant
The Mama Aloe (pronounced a-lo-e) plant
I know have many, many baby aloe plants growing.  They are much needed here since I am prone to burning my hand when cooking.

Azalea
This is our newest addition to our garden.  But it has not yet been planted.  My friend gave it to me for Easter.  I haven't  had an azalea plant since I lived in New Jersey. 

Not shown here are plumeria, papaya, sweet basil lettuce, pineapple, sweet potatoes, celery, etc.

No comments: