Friday, April 29, 2011

In Honor of Divine Mercy Sunday AND the Beatification of Pope John Paul II





Pierogies!!  Perfect to commemorate a great Catholic feast day and great Polish saints and a soon-to-be saint.

Pierogies fried in butter and green onions.

It was through Divine Providence that I read a site on using encouraging readers to use staples in their kitchen in order to make meals. One suggestion was for homemade pierogies. Pierogies? Why, that is a Polish dumpling! Venerable John Paul II is Polish.  St. Faustina is Polish.   I am very thankful to the God for revealing this magnificent feast of  Divine Mercy Sunday, through His Polish saints... St. Faustina, St. Maximilian Kolbe, Pope John Paul II, Sister Faustina's confessor, Blessed Sopocko.

My family loves Pierogies. You can get very good Pierogies in New Jersey because some of the northern towns have large Polish population, e.g. Garfield. The best you can do in Hawaii is the frozen Mrs. T brand. I have been wanting to make Pierogies for a long time but never got around to it until yesterday that is.

I had to do a little research on the internet. I found three recipes that I sort of spliced together to come up with the one I thought would be like the ones I remember eating back home.

My family and I loved them!  I prepared them the way my sister told me her husband liked them with butter and green onions.  The recipe is below.

I made a lot of filling so I hope to make some more Pierogies today. BTW, how is it pronounced? Pier-oo-gees? or Pier-oo-hard G?

Recipe One
Recipe Two
Recipe Three


 I modified the recipes to utilize ingredients I had at hand and the amount so that some could be frozen for later.

Ingredients:
Pierogi Dough

Dough:

2 eggs
2/3 cups milk
1 tsp. salt
Approximately 2 cups flour

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and then knead until the dough somewhat elastic.  Approximately 10 minutes of kneading time.  Cover and let rest for approximately 15 minutes to 1/2 hour.

Potato Cheese Filling

Filling:

5 Medium sized potatoes
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
4 tablespoons yogurt
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 Medium onion, diced and fried in 2 tablespoons butter (or extra virgin olive oil) until onions are well browned but not burnt.

Peel and boil potatoes in salted water until a fork goes in easily.  Drain and place in a bowl.  Add the browned onions, yogurt and cheddar cheese.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Set aside.

Divide the dough into four parts.  On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough very thin but not paper thin.  Cut into rounds.  I used a clean tuna can to cut the rounds.

Fill with approximately 1/2 tablespoon full of filling and fold the dough over and press to seal tightly.  If the sides with not stick together, use a little water to help seal the Pierogies well.

Approximately 30 small Pierogies

Recipe:

2 Tablespoons butter
3 large Green onions, minced

Saucepan with boiling salted water

Heat a skillet and add the butter.  When the butter melts, add the green onions and brown being careful not to let the onions burn.  Turn off heat.

Cook the Pierogies in the boiling salted water, approximately 7 at a time, until they float.  Drain and to the skillet with the browned butter and green onions.  Continue until  21  Pierogies are done.  When the 21 Pierogies are in the skillet, turn the heat back on to medium and cook until the bottoms of the Pierogies are golden brown.

Serves 3 for lunch or light dinner.

Serve with a green salad.

BTW, I want to wish you an early Happy Feast of Divine Mercy!

10 comments:

GrandmaK said...

Sounds very tasty! Have a grand celebration!!! Cathy

Esther G. said...

Thank you Cathy. Happy Feast of Divine Mercy.

scmom (Barbara) said...

What a special treat! That was a lot of work.

I noticed St. Damien is on the calendar next week. Any recommendations for a typically Hawaiian dish?

Sharon said...

Love pierogies! Will have to try this out ;)

Esther G. said...

Barbara. since you like cabbage, I would recommend Kalua pork or chicken. To get an idea on what it is check out http://www.houseofannie.com/kalua-pig-cabbage-recipe/

It is easy to make in the slow cooker too: http://bellygarnish.blogspot.com/2009/05/crockpot-kalua-pig-and-cabbage.html

I know you really should use Ti leaf to wrap for the special flavor but it isn't too bad without the Ti leaf.

If you would rather have another suggestion, just let me know what you would like to eat: Fish? Poi?

I think you will like them Sharon :-)

Gardenia said...

looks and sounds delightful. thanks for sharing.

Esther G. said...

Gardenia, thanks for stopping by.

Tiffany said...

Hi Esther~ Stopping by from Catholic Cuisine. I must stop by more often...Love your blog title! Everything looks delightful for your feast! God Bless your week.

Esther G. said...

Welcome Tiffany and thanks for you kind comments!

scmom (Barbara) said...

Esther, Thanks so much for your recommendations -- going to go check out those recipes to see if I think my kids will eat your lovely island food!