Saturday, April 16, 2011

My First Attempt at Using the Pasta Machine

I have made homemade pasta a few times in the past.  It was a lot of work, kneading, rolling, cutting and drying.  Then my mom gave me a gift certificate which I used to buy a pasta machine.  Only, I watched my mom make the wonton skins on it.  I did not attempt to use it.  Then my mom returned home.  I thought that would be the end of homemade wontons until either she or I visited each other.

The other day I decided to attempt learning how to use the pasta machine.  I had no clue on how it worked. I wanted to know what ingredients I needed for the pasta and step-by-step instructions on using the simple pasta machine.  So I searched and found the following video and it answered my basic questions.



Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups unbleached flour
4 large eggs

That was it! Also rice flour to use to keep the dough from sticking.  However, using this measurement and kneading the dough long enough has made the dough so well that I have not required any additional flour to keep it from sticking.

Directions:

You knead and knead for approximately 10 minutes like the guy in the video instructs us to. It also helped to whack the counter or bowl with the dough ball. Somehow that helped the gluten become elastic-y.

My first attempt was not exactly a success because I did not roll the dough to as thin as I could have. It took approximately 10 minutes for this pasta to cook when it should have only taken a few minutes.  See photos below:








Compare the thickness of the pasta above with my second attempt:


Believe me, this pasta was much thinner and only took approximately 3 minutes to cook.

Then I made dough for homemade wonton soup.  This dough could have been a little thicker.  If the dough is too thin, then it sticks together or it tears, making filling with meat and folding into wontons, very difficult to do.

The dough leaves on the left were just flour and water.
The yellowish dough on the right was made with eggs.
Dough needs to be very thin for wonton skins
waiting to be cut into wonton skins for filling
So I know more of less have the hang of changing certain settings on the knob for the appropriate thickness.

I believe I pass the dough one time at #2.  Fold the dough over left and right side.  Pass it through a couple more times.  Then I pass the dough through a couple of times on #3, then couple of times on #5 and then once on #7.  This worked for me.  It may be different for someone else.

And, that is it.

4 comments:

scmom (Barbara) said...

Fresh pasta is so wonderful. Alas, my machine is in the basement in a cupboard. It is so time-consuming (and makes a pretty big mess of the kitchen) I haven't pulled it out in years. I find, though, if you have a recipe where you can really appreciate and taste the pasta, it is worth it. Maybe we will have buttered pasta this week. Thanks for the inspiration, Esther.

Katerina said...

You placed a lot of effort and work on this pasta. I am sure it was worth it!

vincent said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com

Esther G. said...

Barbara, you're welcome. BTW, what kind of machine do you have?

Katerina: Thank you. Even though the first batch was tough, my family still ate it :-)

Vincent: Will check out your link. TY.