Saturday, April 9, 2011

Osso Buco and Risotto alla Milanese

Osso Buco and Risotto alla Milanese
It is very hard to find veal shanks in Hawaii.  When I am able to find it, I buy it because it is my husband's all-time favorite meal. I usually make it once a year on his birthday.   FYI, for many years I boycotted veal...sigh...

The recipe I use comes from another of my favorite cookbooks for Italian cooking...The Food of the World: The Cooking of Italy by Time-Life.  There are many recipes I make often such as the Risotto that accompanies the Osso Buco.


The recipe is fairly easy to follow.  I found online versions here for the Osso Buco recipe and here for the Risotto alla Milanese recipe.

Making the risotto


The sauce that will braise the veal shanks or Osso Buco


Osso Buco cooking in the oven
Served on our everyday plates.  It looks better on the good plates

2 comments:

scmom (Barbara) said...

That looks wonderful -- my husband would love it. I don't think I've ever seen veal shanks locally (and honestly I have issues with veal left from college animal science class). Can you use anything else?

Esther G. said...

Barbara, the butcher recommended I use beef shanks when I asked for a substitute for veal shanks.