Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Peruvian Home Cooking - Aguadito de Pollo (Soupy Chicken Rice Stew)

Aguadito de Pollo
One of my late father's favorite dishes was Aguadito de Pato. It was a soupy rice duck dish. The soupier the better my father liked it. My mother would make this special dish for him on his birthday. The rest of the year my mother made this tradition Peruvian dish using chicken.

The following is my mother's recipe for the chicken rice dish and slightly modified by me.  Like my father, I like it soupy while my husband likes it thick.  My son does not like cilantro so I usually make him a separate chicken dish utilizing the thighs which are his favorite part of the chicken.

Ingredients:

1 chicken cut up. Skin removed. Lightly salt and pepper the chicken.  The gizzards, heart and liver can be used.
3/4 cup rice (washed and drained)
1 medium onion, diced
1 tsp. Peruvian Aji Amarillo paste. Fresh hot chili such as jalapeño can be substituted if Aji Amarillo is hard to obtain.
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1 large can of ale or beer(My mom prefers Guinness). The best I could do was the beer you see in the photo. Light beer would be the last choice.
1/2 cup frozen peas
1 bunch fresh cilantro (washed well and dried)It should not be soaking wet.
1 large beer bottle or can of water *Together with the beer the liquid should add up to approximately 4 1/2 cups of water. Depends on whether the preference is for a thicker rice dish.
2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Process the cilantro in a food processor or mince finely with a sharp knife.

Cilantro in small food chopper

Heat a Dutch Oven or large pot over medium high heat.  Add the olive oil and place the chicken pieces in the pot.  Brown well on both sides.  Turn the chicken over only once.

Chicken, garlic, chilies and onions

Add garlic, onions and sauté a few minutes until cooked. Add the aji amarillo paste, cilantro and rice. Salt and pepper to taste. Add the beer/ale and water. Bring liquid to a boil and cover the pot. Lower to medium low and cook until rice is cooked. Add the peas and cook for approximately 5 to 10 minutes longer.

Cilantro has been added

Serve with boiled potatoes and green salad.

Beer and basic seasonings. I use course Hawaiian sea salt for all my cooking
Rice has been added

Beer adds a special flavor to this dish

Bringing the aguadito to a boil and then it will be simmered
Serves 4-6.

No comments: