Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Mabo Tofu Recipe - Spicy Pork and Tofu

One of my son's favorite new dishes that I have been making at home from scratch Mabo Tofu. It is very popular here in Hawaii. I believe most of the Asian restaurants (Chinese, Japanese and Korean run ramen noodles shops, offer it on their menu) It is spicy pork and tofu which has Chinese origins. I used to buy the sauce ready made.  But I could never afford to buy enough to satisfy my family's appetite for this tasty meal. 

 I ended up finding a really good recipe and now I make this at home anytime my son is in the mood for it, which is pretty often.  Although, the original recipe calls for ground pork, ground chicken or turkey are good substitutes.

Mabo Tofu
Chili Paste

The recipe I used can be found here.

You will need to have a few ingredients you may not necessarily already have in your pantry.

1. Tapioca starch (corn starch can be substituted)
2. Soy sauce (such as Kikkoman)
3. Tofu (firm)
4. Fermented Chinese black beans (Tausi)
5. Chili Paste
6. Green onions
7. White pepper (Szechuan Pepper)

Serve with rice.

No comments: