Tuesday, May 3, 2011

These are a Few of Our Favorite Desserts

Although I do have a big sweet-tooth, I have never been really good at making desserts.  My sister was the baker in our family.  Everything she created was meticulously done and beautifully presented.  I still remember with fondness her chocolate mousse cake.

Recently though, I have given dessert making another go.  I usually refer to the recipes from the Better Homes and Garden cookbook and Good Housekeeping Cookbook.  That is with the exception of the Lemon Meringue Pie.  I believe the Argo recipe for Lemon Meringue Pie has to be the best tasting one ever!  I'm glad my husband doesn't like desserts with lemon so there is more for my son and me. Just kidding :-)

Lemon Meringue Pie

Another lemon based dessert my son and I love is lemon bars.

Baking the bottom of the lemon bars

Baking the filling

Oops! Someone forgot to take a photo before the lemon bars were half-way gone.

I have the older edition of the Better Homes and Garden cookbook and used that recipe. I did find a similar recipe online which apparently has been updated slightly. I think I will try this version next. Recipe for Lemon Bars Actually, we did not eat all the rich lemon bars that seem to be missing in the picture.  I gave some away as little favor gifts. Each little bar was placed on a muffin/cupcake paper and placed in a little Hawaiian themed cellophane bag, one on top of another. I believe I put four in each. Then the bag was tied with a pretty ribbon.

So two friends were the happy recipients for these little gifts. 

Fudge Brownies baking

Fudge Brownies cooling

The last dessert is fudge brownies. When I ask my husband if he would like cake brownies or fudge brownies, he would choose cake brownies. Recently though, he has chosen fudge brownies. It is now a family favorite. The Better Homes and Garden Cookbook recipe can be found here

Note:  Please disregard the burned bottom in the oven. Today, I finally let the oven clean itself!  4 hours and 20 minutes later, I should have a clean oven.

No comments: