Friday, August 5, 2011

Papa a la Huancaina


Papa a la Huancaina is a typical Peruvian dish and it is usually served as an appetizer. It just happens to be one of my husband's favorite Peruvian foods...and he doesn't have a drop of Peruvian blood in him.

There are many recipes for this dish. Even in my own family, my mom and my aunt make it differently. I usually make it my mom's method using a touch of Turmeric for color and health reasons. The last time I made it though, I used my aunt's method. Her recipe is very simple.

1 boiled Yukon Gold (or any other salad potato) per person
1 boiled egg per person
3 Peruvian olives per person (similar to a Kalamata Olive but larger, tangier and in my opinion, much more tastier).
1 large lettuce leave per person

Huancaina Sauce:

1 large container of small curd cottage cheese
1 tbsp. (or less depending on how hot you want it) of Aji Amarillo
1 yellow onion, minced
Salt to taste

Blend together. If you want the sauce to be very creamy, you can put it in a blender until smooth.

Serve as in the photo above.

4 comments:

Alexandra said...

I've never tried this. Looks yummy! I'll have to look for those olives.

Heather said...

Sounds amazing! I've never tried food from Peru.

Esther G. said...

Alexandra, I think you would like the olives.

Esther G. said...

Heather, if you like spicy, you may just like some of the dishes.