Saturday, January 28, 2012

First Successful Cucumbers from the Garden and Salad Recipes

I remembered to take a photo after I started to peel cucumbers

There were three cucumbers on two cucumber plants this morning. I picked two that were big enough, one from each plant. One is a Japanese cucumber and the other is one called "Fanfare".

Cucumber and Manoa Lettuce Salad for my son

My son's salad is very simple. The Manoa lettuce was picked the other day and it was still very fresh. He will eat it with my simple oil and red wine vinegar vinaigrette salad dressing.

Creamy Dill Cucumber Salad

The following is the recipe for the Creamy Cucumber Salad which I modified from the original Betty Crocker recipe.

1 large cucumber sliced very thinly
1/4 cup buttermilk dressing or yogurt (I used the yogurt I made yesterday)
Approximately 1 tablespoon snipped fresh dill (Dill also came from my garden)
1/4 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 small sweet onion, thinly sliced

Mix all ingredients together and let chill for at least an hour.

No comments: