Monday, March 12, 2012

Lenten Meal Idea: Corn and Potato Chowder Served with Roasted Beets and Homemade Biscuits

In order to make this soup healthier, I used the whey from the yogurt cheese I made the other day and I used olive oil and not butter.

Recipe:

4 cups chicken broth
1 cup whey (optional)
1 large onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon chicken bouillon
A few fresh sage leaves (or dried)
1 can evaporated milk
2 cups frozen, fresh or canned corn
3 large potatoes, peeled and diced
1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil or grape seed oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat a Dutch oven, add the oil, garlic and onions, fry a few minutes until garlic is brown. Add the other ingredients except for the milk. Bring to a boil, lower and simmer for approximately 45 minutes or until the potatoes fall apart. Add the milk. Turn off heat and cool. Use the hand blender to process and make the soup creamy. Adjust for seasonings.

I served this soup with homemade biscuits (made with yogurt and grape seed oil instead of sour cream and butter). I also served roasted baby beets (from my garden) and Maui onion that another gardener had grown.


Baby beets


Roasted baby beets with Maui onions in olive oil and drizzled with Balsamic Vinegar


Homemade Biscuits

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love to share a couple of great fish recipes with you for lent. Can I please get your email address? Thanks, Kristen Karpinsky kakarpinsky@hotmail.com

Esther G. said...

Thanks! I emailed you.