Thursday, March 15, 2012

Lenten Meal: My Version of Salad Nicoise

Esther's Salad Nicoise (Olives added separately)


The other day I bought a can of Wild Sockeyed Red Salmon which although pricier than the pink salmon, is really worth it not only because of the healthy properties but the taste is so ono!  It is chocked full of Omega-3 and we don't have to worry about Mercury. The last time we had canned salmon I made salmon cakes with it. This salmon was too good to hide in a casserole, pasta or anything creamy. So, I chose to make a main meal salad. Usually, main meal salads are reserved for lunch as my family doesn't feel that it feels them up enough. There was my son's first attempt at pesto sauce left in the refrigerator so we had a back up in case anyone was still hungry.

My family was pleased with the salad. I made a large amount and there was none left. This salad would serve 3 people with seconds or 6 smaller servings.

1 large can Wild Sockeyed Red Salmon, drain, removed skin and bones
1 head tender lettuce such as Boston or Butter Lettuce (in Hawaii use Manoa Lettuce) I actually used some of the Simpson lettuce that grew from seeds.,
1 small head of Romaine lettuce (wash and dry all the lettuce thoroughly and break into bite-sized pieces)
1 large sweet potato, (I used the one we can get in Hawaii...red on the outside and light yellow on the inside). Sorry, the name escapes me at the moment! Boiled, peeled, cooled and sliced
2 large salad potatoes or if they are small, one for each person. Boiled, peeled, cooled and sliced
1 large ripe tomato (vine-ripened if possible), sliced
1 medium sized sweet onion, sliced very thinly
1 medium sized sweet green pepper, sliced thinly
1 boiled egg per person, cut in halves
1/4 to 1/2 lb. of blanched fresh string beans, cut into halves or thirds depending on how big they are.
Nicoise or Kalamata olives (I used Peruvian olives)
Your favorite vinaigrette (or Red Wine vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper)

On a large platter (I used the largest Pyrex baking dish we own) arrange the bite sized pieces of lettuce.

Place the slices of potato and sweet potato on top of the lettuce. Add the chunks of the salmon. Next, add the tomato slices, onion slices and green pepper slices. Then add the string beans and olives.

Serve with fresh bread.

No comments: