Friday, March 2, 2012

Purslane and Apple Salad

In this post I mentioned a salad made with a weed. Purslane is not just any weed, it is a super nutritious one at that! It is full of Omega 3 and Vitamin C Click here to learn about some other of its nutritional values. Well, at the garden today I had to do some weeding because we have been having lots of rainfall. One of the weeds I removed was Purslane. The following is the recipe for the Purslane and Apple Salad that my friend shared with me.

Recipe:

1 bunch of Purslane (cleaned very well in vinegar and water or a vegetable wash), remove the roots and break up the stems into big bite size pieces.
1 Apple (I used Gala and my friend uses an Asian Pear or Pear, julienned
Red Wine vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Place the prepared Purslane and apple in a salad bowl. Add a splash of the Red Wine Vinegar and a drizzle of the olive oil. Season to taste.

Serves 4 as a small salad

No comments: