Saturday, March 31, 2012

Spicy Lentil Curry


My family does not like legumes. In fact, I really do not like legumes. As a child, I disliked one legume in particular, the humble lentil. However, it is essential for good health that we eat at least one meal containing legumes per week. The following is the lentil dish I prepared today. I liked it! Boy, will my mother be surprised.

Recipe:

1 bag lentils (picked over, rinsed and drained)
1 medium onion, diced
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1 fresh chili (I used three small Hawaiian chili peppers, remove seeds)
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 can tomatoes
1 cup diced potatoes
1 cup frozen corn (or any other frozen vegetable)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tablespoon chicken bouillon
1 cup water
1/4 cup Craisins or raisins
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon curry powder

Heat a Dutch oven. Add the oil. Then add the garlic, chili, ginger, onions. Fry until onions soften. Add the cinnamon, chicken bullion, turmeric powder, cumin and curry powder. Mix well with a spoon. Add water, tomatoes, including its juices, and the lentils. Bring to a boil. Then lower heat to medium low. Add the potatoes and corn. Cook until potatoes are tender. Then add the Craisins or raisins. Cook another 10 minutes or so. Adjust the seasonings if needed (salt and pepper).

Serve with rice.

I also made Kabocha pumpkin Japanese style to accompany this dish.  Recipe to follow.

No comments: