Thursday, May 10, 2012

Tempura




I harvested a variety of vegetables from my garden.  I decided to try my hand at making tempura.  For tempura to be perfect, the batter must be light and very crispy.  I used the following in the tempura:

1.  Kale

2.  Eggplant

3.  Green beans

4.  Maui onions

5.  Shrimp

My recipe came from different sources including an old  Asian cookbook I have in my collection of cookbooks.

The results were as follows:

The only vegetable that retained the crispiness that made this meal a success, was the kale.  The other vegetables and also the shrimp wilted quite rapidly.  I used Grapeseed oil for frying and I also found it extremely important to maintain a consistently high temperature.  Whenever the temperature dropped even the slightest, the tempura started absorbing too much oil.

I made more than enough tempura for that evening's meal.  The rest was reheated in the toaster oven the next day.  I heated it low for approximately 15 minutes and the results were quite good!

For dinner I served the tempura along with the traditional dipping sauce of grated daikon with soy sauce, diluted a bit with water.  I also served Miso soup with it to compliment the Japanese theme. One recipe I used in order to learn the right technique in frying was here.

No comments: