Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Plants in Garden - Early September

Heirloom Cantaloupe
Started from seeds in the ground. It was recently moved to a raised bed when the true leaves emerged.  The leaves were drooping.  Reason for this was that there were ants under the leaves.  This means an aphid problem.  Treatment:  Lavender soap sprayed on leaves.

Bush Beans


These too were started from seeds sowed directly in the ground.  It is producing slowly at least 2 beans a day.  I thought about transplanting them into a raised bed but since they are already producing beans I decided to leave them alone.  PROBLEM:  ground is compacted.

Potatoes
I save the potatoes that have sprouted eyes and plant them directly into the ground.  I have successfully grown baby potatoes but not full grown potatoes.  The longer the potatoes are in the ground the older they get not bigger.  I don't know why.

Olena (Turmeric) surrounded by Purslane
It is taking a long time for the turmeric plants to grow but I think it will be well worth it!  I need to shade the plants from the long direct sun.  As you can tell from the photos the tips are drying.




No comments: