Friday, October 26, 2012

Crispy "Garbage" Cookies

Before going into the oven

Right out of the oven
Many years ago a friend shared her very delicious cookies with me.  She actually gave me the recipe one Christmas.  I think I made them once since then.  Today, I was searching for another cookie to make (being tired of the usual chocolate chip, oatmeal and/or sugar cookies) and remembered her recipe!  I changed the recipe a bit to my taste preference.  I like very crispy cookies.  I also wanted to use ingredients I had in the pantry.  The original recipe was also for double the amount.  I thought that was way too many cookies for our small family.  Although, I don't think my family would agree.  They were very happy with the results.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup butter, oil or shortening (I used the Mediterranean blend)
1/2 cup organic sugar (or plain white sugar)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 large egg (fresh local eggs preferred)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup unbleached flour
Pinch salt (I used coarse Hawaiian sea salt)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

"Garbage" Ingredients:
1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
1 cup Corn flakes, Rice Crispies, etc. (I used crushed Frosted Flakes)
1/2 cup chopped nuts (walnuts or almonds)
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup Craisins
1/4 cup sesame seeds (I used organic)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Prepare baking sheets with parchment paper and spray with Pam, or a similar shortening spray (or grease by hand).

If using butter, make sure it has softened.  Cream the shortening with the sugars.  Add the egg and vanilla and blend well.  Mix the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder together by sifting (I actually skipped this part and added these ingredients directly into the sugar mixture.  But, I made sugar to mix well so that no white was left in the bowl.  Add the "garbage" ingredients and again, mix well.

Place teaspoon full of dough onto the prepared baking sheets 2 inches apart.  Bake for approximately 12 to 15 minutes or until nicely browned.

Enjoy!





2 comments:

Annette @LosingYourBelly said...

Have you ever tried a garbage sandwich. Sorry your cookies made me think of a sandwich I used to order at this little cafe - gone now they went out of business.
They were the best sandwiches ever. Bet your cookies are awesome, perfect for using up that last of the cereal no one will eat at the bottom of the box.

Esther Gefroh said...

No, but I remember growing up the tavern by us served "garbage" pizza :-) Sandwich sounds good too!