Friday, October 26, 2012

Green Curry with Shrimp


Thai food just happens to be my family's (except for yours truly) favorite meal .  But when you have lemongrass, coconut milk, Thai fish sauce, basil, etc. what else could one possibly make but Thai curry.  I had to substitute a few ingredients though.  As I mentioned many times previously, I like to use what I have at hand without having to go to the store. The exception was with the eggplant.  I actually used the ones from my garden in minestrone yesterday so I had to buy this at the store

Ingredients:

1 lb. Tiger prawns (shelled and deveined) You can actually leave the shells on if you want a richer flavor
1 medium onion
2 inches or so of young ginger, julienned
1 can coconut milk (not the sweetened cream)
Lemongrass stalk (I used the leaves which I tied together for easier removal)
2 large potatoes (preferably organic), peeled and cubed
1 large celery stalk (preferably organic) sliced
1 large Japanese eggplant, sliced
Green curry paste (start with a tablespoon of the paste and add more if you wish)
1 coconut can filled with water (I used two cans of water and it was more like a soup than a stew consistency)
Thai fish sauce
Thai basil (I used Greek basil which was all I had handy)
Kaffir lime leaves (I didn't have any so I used a squirt of Meyer Lemon)  If you don't have Kaffir, you could try using the zest of a lime.  Using lemon juice will curdle the coconut milk so I don't recommend it. But it did give it a nice flavor.

In a large saucepan, heat one tablespoon oil. Add the onions and ginger.  Fry for a couple of minutes.  Add the coconut milk, lemongrass, basil, green curry paste, 1 teaspoon of the fish sauce. Bring to a boil and then add the water, potatoes, celery, eggplant, Kaffir lime leaves.  Season to taste. You may have to adjust the amount of curry, fish sauce and/or salt. Bring to a boil and then lower heat.  Cook until the potatoes are cooked. Then add the shrimp.  Cook another minute or so.

Serve with Jasmine rice.

No comments: